Subject: pc's webpage

From: "And Rosta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 00:10:57 +0100

All very clear. There are a few things I'd query:

1. "It is certain that the scope ends at the next {ni’o} or {da’o}; it
probably ends at the next undecorated {i}."

Mark made a widely well-received proposal that single {da'o} evacuates
only the preceding anaphor/variable/name, while {da'o da'o} evacuates
all.

2. "On the other hand, occurrences of a bound variable that are clearly in
the scope of a quantifier may be rebound by another explicit
quantifier, keeping more or less the same reference: {ci da zo’u da
nanmu gi’e nenri klama le barja ije re da zutse} “Three men come into a
bar and two of them sit,” where the second quantifier on {da} works
within the limits of the groups selected by the first. A quantifier in
Lojban cannot be recycled within the scope of a quantifier on that same
variable."

I believe the ban on recycling -- which is better-formulated here than I
saw it formulated in list discussion -- was a recent proposal rather than part
of established canon. In discussion, a range of views were put
forward:

(i) Requantification recycles the variable (as if it were {da da'o}) as if
it were being used for the first time.

(ii) Requantification recycles the variable but earlier restrictions on
the variable are not cancelled, so
{ci da poi gerku zo'u ge da cliva gi re da bacru}
means "two dogs barked" rather than "two of the dogs barked", and
{ci da poi gerku zo'u ge da cliva gi re da poi xekri cu bacru}
means "two black dogs", and not just "two black things".
I suppose the restriction would stay in force until the next {da da'o}
or {da'o da'o}.

(iii) Requantification is over the individuals picked out by the initial
quantification (as per your [pc's] text).

I think the choice among these (and other possible alternatives) has yet to be
agreed on.

3. "The bridi negation {na} is always logically to the left of even the
quantifiers in the prenex, so again it is useful to check whether you
have negated the right form when a negation occurs."
Perhaps this is said in the book, but at least in the Lojban internalized by me,
prenex has scope over the rest of the bridi.

--And.