Subject: Re: [lojban] re : translation challenge: "If today is Monday..."

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 10:48:54 EDT

In a message dated 10/13/2001 1:04:38 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> On Sat, Oct 13, 2001 at 01:28:12PM +0200, G. Dyke wrote:
> > I don't like {mu'ei} ! (I had written a long paragraph explaining why, 
> but I
> > erased it 'cause much of what I said doesn't make sense - I suppose I just
> > don't like the idea of lojban not being able to express something which is
> > so obvious in natural language)
> 
> ... what?
> 
> Because you don't like the idea of Lojban not being able to express the
> subjunctive, you argue _against_ the thing which would make it
> expressible?
> 

I suppose the point is that Lojban can *already* deal with subjunctives; we 
just have not yet worked out how to do it. Running off after new devices 
before we have exhausted the capabilities of the ones we have is a vile 
practice of the lazy. (I made that last part up myself). Notice that there 
are at least two solutions to &'s question provided within standard Lojban.