Subject: Rafsi for "nai"?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 19:32:02 -0000

I am finding the absence of a rafsi for "nai" in 
connectives problematic.

As a tanru, "neuter" can be traslated "nakni najenai festi", 
but in compressing it to a lujvo "nak-nar-jev-nar(?)-fe'i". 
leading to "naknarjevnarfe'i", I wonder if "nar" is an 
acceptable rafsi for "nai".

neuter:
nakni najenai fetsi
nak-nar-jev-nar-fe'i
naknarjavnarfe'i

Hermaphrodite translates easily:

hermaphrodite:
nakni je fetsi
nak-jev-fe'i
nakyjevyfe'i

A third expression I came up with playing with tanru 
logical connectives, I find translates with an extra step 
because of the question I have about a rafsi for "nai". 
There is no standard English word for it; the best 
translation I can come up with is "mono-sexed"

"mono-sexed":
nakni jonai fetsi
nakni najo fetsi
nak-nar-jov-fe'i
naknarjovyfe'i

I moved the negation from the "nai" end of the "jo" to the 
"na" end before making a lujvo. This isn't a serious 
problem here because they "jonai" means the same as "najo", 
and this would be true of a nuber of other cases, but I see 
six common cases with a "nai"

1)broda najenai brodu: neither of the two (the one covered by neuter)
2)broda najanai brodu: not both
3)broda sejunai brodu: not second, regardless of first
4)broda jenai brodu: first and not second
5)broda janai brodu: first (i)or not second
6)broda jonai brodu: first xor second

Case 6 has the other common form of "najo", so that one is 
easily taken care of: broda najo brodu.

Cases 4 and 5 can be haldled by reordering selbri:
4)brodu naje broda
5)brodu naja broda

Case 3 has the not so obvious conversion of:
3)brodu naju broda. 
That is the selbri are reversed and as a consequence of 
that reversal "seju" becomes "ju".

It is cases 1 and 2 that can not be handled by simply using 
a less common connective form. I don't see how they can be 
handled without a rafsi for "nai".