Subject: RE: [lojban] Broken Phone, round 2

From: "Craig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 06:52:52 -0400

>It's interesting that both of us used this tactic to introduce the
>pronouns, with several translations without it in between. Some people
>relied on the "ko'V = male, fo'V = female" convention, or perhaps it was
>only left to context that "Flora" is probably female.

I was imagining what I would do if I translated the whole text, and made the
Bannerworths ko'V and everyone else fo'V, if you read the book (Varney the
Vampire, or, The Feast of Blood - it's an anonymous Victorian horror novel)
this makes sense.

>We got off to a good start - the meaning survived intact. I think that
>{le se terpa} and {le nu terpa} are both equally good causes of shaking.
>Evgenii managed to make good use of a modal I've never seen before. And
>was rather verbose.

It wasn't all that long. Oh wait, you meant And as in la .and., not as in
.ije. Yeah, that was verbose.

>Wow, we sure read a lot into two words.

The malmi'o probably came from the french ('that vampire' rather than 'the
vampire').

>Evgenii seems to rather like tanru. I do too, but I think the word
>"vampire" is one of the instances where they fail. This probably led to
>the excessive description.

I liked it. Though the malmi'o didn't make sense, it was understood as
meaning vampire.

>Flora -> Flor -> Flo, at least, wasn't nearly as messy as Lir -> Evil Eye.

Or Bannerworth -> Banervolt.

> Pierre: Crac! casse le verre. Donc tout se tait.

Pierre admits that this became 'Crack' because 'crache' means spit in
French.

>So 3 out of 5 of us keep track of the experimental cmavo page of the
>Wiki.

No, just the Random Sentence Generator page, where it was used in a Beatles
translation.