Subject: Re: [lojban] latna: Lotus or Nelumbo?

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 09:59:33 -0400

At 12:55 AM 10/25/01 -0400, Pierre Abbat wrote:
>Wading through pages about corporate taxonomy software by Lotus, I found that
>there are two completely different plants called lotus: the genus Lotus,
>which is in the family Fabaceae, and the genus Nelumbo, in the family
>Nelumbonaceae. The flattish seed head with some twenty holes with a seed in
>each is Nelumbo. Which is latna?

genus Nymphaea is the one listed in my dictionary which has 
religio-cultural significance (which is why it is in the gismu list). But 
if one of the other genera also has religious significance, it would also 
fit. latna is not primarily a taxonomic thing, but a cultural word. I 
could imagine it being used for any religio-culturally significant plant 
with lujvo to distinguish them.

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org