Subject: le ka djuno

From: "Craig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 11:29:16 -0400

coi rodo

I have, in the past, made reference to the two types of wisdom in
Classical Greek. It occurs to me that I can't think of a way to translate
either one into Lojban. Any ideas? For reference, here are the descriptions
out of the glossary of my 'Nicomachean Ethics':

phronesis: Phronesis and sophia may both be translated as 'wisdom,' and are
normally used as synonyms in the dialogues of Plato. But Aristotle, in
working toward a more precise terminology, prefers to distinguish them. His
usage takes account of the fact that phronesis tends to imply wisdom in
action, and hence a moral intelligence, PRACTICAL WISDOM, while sophia
originally indicated technical competence and artistic skill (e.g., in
poetry or handicraft), but came to be used for scientific competence and
theoretical wisdom (as in philosophia, the 'love of wisdom'). For a detailed
discussion of these terms, see VI. 5 and 7.

sophia: See phronesis. Aristotle understands by sophia the highest
intellectual, and especially philosophical, excellence of which the human
mind is capable, and which is the result of studying nature for its own
sake; in this sense it is translated THEORETICAL WISDOM. In a more current
and general sense, it is simply equivalent to our WISDOM.

So, are there simple tanru and/or lujvo to express these concepts? The
English only works because the first time you see 'practical wisdom' in the
text it tells you to "see glossary, phronesis." Can we do better with
lojban?

--la kreig.daniyl.

'coi doi drata mibypre
.i pu temci so'i detri
.i mi'o na cafne ka'e tavla
.i lenu go'i cu zekri
.ija'e ko mi cusku le do nambi
.i mi ba go'i do
.i mi'o cmila joi se danmo
joi maltavla joi mi'atavla
joi pinxe le vanju'
-la djimis.BYFet.

xy.sy. gubmau ckiku nacycme: 0x5C3A1E74