Subject: Re: [lojban] SE--FA interaction

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 16:56:23 EST

In a message dated 10/30/2001 12:06:25 PM Central Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:
<The discussion of word orders has prompted me to revive a once-abandoned
exercise of working out the easiest way to order 5 sumti places (i) in a bridi
for each relevant possible position of the selbri, and (ii) in a sumti tail 
(where
selbri position is fixed and x1 can't be fa-tagged).

> Has anybody ever bothered to do this before & written up the results?>
> 

My earlier remark is not quite accurate. The Loglan stuff was only about SE 
and combos to get any possible arrangement. It was, in fact, part of the 
argument for having FA. So far as I remember, no one ever recalculated with 
FA.

I don't understand the two cases. The position of the selbri seems 
irrelevant except when before the first occurring sumti, where it will force 
a {fa} on the first sumti if it were the first place (it would be required 
anyhow if it were any ohter). Case ii looks to be just like case i with all 
the places moved up -- and so one more complex FA and one more complex SE to 
handle 6-place predicates.
Does easiest mean "fewest ordering words", "fewest ordering syllable" or 
"conceptually simplest devise"? The latter is almost always going to be FA 
plain, except otherwise unmodified SE.