Subject: Re: [lojban] Moss and lichen

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 20:21:58 -0500

On Tuesday 30 October 2001 17:49, Bob LeChevalier (lojbab) wrote:
> Indeed, the bottom line is that clika is that green stuff growing on a rock
> or tree. Use tanru or lujvo to make serious distinctions; everyday people
> are not going to use taxonomic classifications, because everyday people
> don't know them. If they see green stuff on a rock, they will say "clika"
> regardless of what kingdom or phyla that the scientists would classify it
> as. Just as they will tend to call a dolphin le finpe even if scientists
> call it lo mabru. This problem also affects the various real-world
> referents of latna. Presumably they all got the name "lotus" even though
> they were unrelated taxonomically because people for some reason associated
> them with lo si'o lijda spati or lo ranmi spati poi se cmene la'o gy.
> lotus. gy

The green stuff on rocks and trees is lichen, not moss, even though it is 
colloquially called moss. At least three of the etymology words agree that 
it's lichen, and it has a place for substrate, which is not needed for moss. 
So it's lichen.

Then there's sfani. Although it's in diptera in the taxonomy chart, ro sfani 
na diptera, and I should make a note of that.

And jbari isn't going anywhere in the chart, because it's a type of fruit, 
not a taxon, and berries are found all over the angiosperm families. Though I 
might put some specific jbari, such as cribyjba or vanjba, in if I have the 
inclination.

phma