Subject: Re: [lojban] Isn't everything a noun? (was Countability)

From: Lee Daniel Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 13:50:13 -0800 (PST)

> > > Is {ro le su'epazemoi be lei nanmu bei le ka clani} awkward? Or the
> > > glorkable version, {ro le clani nanmu su'epazemoi}?
> >
> >I assume you mean {mei} rather than {moi}, unless something has
> >changed from the refgram I have.
> 
> {moi} is right: the 1st, 2nd, 3rd,... 17th.

OK, you're talking about "all of the up-to-17th ones in extremity";
I was thinking "the extreme 17-some", which now that I think about
it makes more sense to mean the 17-some most extreme among other
17-somes. So then, can we assume that {su'epazemoi traji} means
"up-to-17th most extreme"? If so, then we have {ro le su'epazemoi
xadni clarai be fo nanmu...}. I guess the primary point I'm trying
to make is that restricting the meaning of any gismu to "a unit of..."
is artificial and not very Lojbanic, while it seems much more
Lojbanic--since {traji} already has an "among..." place--to refer
to the extreme ones as {le...traji...be fo nanmu...} (with correct
quantifications) than to use {le...nanmu...traji...be fo nanmu...}.

--
Lee Daniel Crocker <[email-masked]> <http://www.piclab.com/lee/>
"All inventions or works of authorship original to me, herein and past,
are placed irrevocably in the public domain, and may be used or modified
for any purpose, without permission, attribution, or notification."--LDC