Subject: RE: [lojban] How should "algebra" be transliterated?

From: "Craig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 19:00:24 -0500

>I went to the math terminology page and found {cmacrnalgebra}. The original
>form is "al jabr" (in _Kitab al Jabr w al Muqabala_ by Al Khwarizmi, whose
>name gives "algorithm"). The letter jim is variously pronounced (in Egypt
>it's gim, whereas in Persia it's jim and a different letter is used for
'g').
>{algebra}, {aljebra}, {aldjabra} and {aldjebra} are all valid fu'ivla, as
are
>the same preceded by {cmacrn-}. Which should it be?

Then it should be gabr or jabr, dependin on the dialect of the author. To
make a poo'ivla, stick a vowel on the end and a gism with hyphen on the
beginning. al should be left out, as it is a seperate word. we don't
transliterate the The in nouns borrowed form Englsih, now do we?

--la kreig.daniyl.

'coi doi drata mibypre
.i pu temci so'i detri
.i mi'o na cafne ka'e tavla
.i lenu go'i cu zekri
.ija'e ko mi cusku le do nambi
.i mi ba go'i do
.i mi'o cmila joi maltavla joi mi'atavla
joi pinxe le vanjo'
-la djimis.BYFet

xy.sy. gubmau ckiku nacycme: 0x5C3A1E74