Subject: Re: [lojban] name of smells/chemicals

From: "James F. Carter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 10:38:26 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, John Cowan wrote:
> And Rosta wrote:
> ...
> > Likewise for the chemical one smells (a) when opening a roll of
> > 35mm film, and (b) in the breath or sweat of someone who is extremely
> > deydrated. A German doctor told me it was [keton], which I took
> > to be 'acetone'.
>
> Acetone is a ketone, but I don't think it's the relevant one, as
> acetone is rather toxic. Probably some random mix of larger
> ketones.

For some reason, when you metabolize fat a byproduct is acetone, and when a
person is very hungry there's enough that you can smell it on his breath.
I don't [think I] produce acetone when dehydrated, though I do then get bad
breath from other odorants; however, there's a correlation between running
out of water and running out of food, which may make people associate
acetone breath with dehydration.

To my nose, the odor from antique :-) 35mm film is other than acetone.

James F. Carter Voice 310 825 2897 FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet; 6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA 90095-1555
Email: [email-masked] http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)