Subject: Werfel vs. Poe

From: "A.W.T." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 19:30:31 -0000

I feel that this small piece of text (last lines of F. Werfel's "Eine blass=
-blaue Frauenschrift")
is a lot harder to translate than Edgar Allan Poe's, at least for me - and =
I'm not so sure I succeeded
in doing it. Would you be kind enough to check?

.ije la le,onidas. goi ko'a nalkaknysku kamkli djuno le du'u cale cabdei
pu te friti lenu terckape sidju ko'a kei tai lo pevmanku .e lo xablau
.e lo nalsatci pe ro lo'e nunfriti .i djuno le du'u ko'a pu fliba ti
.i djuno le du'u na ba nunfriti remoi
(to fi'e la frants.verfel. toi)

... weiß Leonidas mit unaussprechlicher Klarheit, dass heute ein Angebot zu=
r Rettung an ihn
ergangen ist, dunkel, halblaut, unbestimmt, wie alle Angebote dieser Art. E=
r weiß, dass er
daran gescheitert ist. Er weiß, dass ein neues Angebot nicht wieder erfolge=
n wird. (Franz Werfel)

(According to the character's personal style - a high-ranked official in th=
e Bureau of Inner Affairs
in Vienna - his literal style too seems a bit bureaucratic.)

co'o mu'omi'e .aulun.