Subject: Re: possible A-F...

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 14:17:54 -0000

--- In lojban@y..., pycyn@a... wrote:
> The competitors to hex are not binary and quartenary by decimal and 
> duodecimal and, rationality notwithstanding, decimal wins hands 
down. 
> Rationality coming into play would have duodecimal winning. Hex 
comes after 
> 60, probably.

Binary, quaternary, decimal, duodecimal, hexadecimal, sexagesimal 
(base 60) and in fact number systems with a base of any integer 
greater than 1 are all possible, and so I suppose could be considered 
to be competitors.

But why do you think duodecimal is the most rational choice?

What is rational about sexagesimal either? 12 and 60 do both have a 
relatively large number of divisors compared with their size, but why 
does that make them more rational choices?

Incidentally, if it's numbers with a relatively large number of 
divisors compared with their size that you want, considering integers 
up to 60 only, 6, 24, 36, and 48 are all possibilities too.

Sincerely,
Robert