Subject: "generic Odysseys"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 02:31:41 -0000

this is a rather confused notion in English, & should be broken
up into separate Lojban expressions:

le cukta poi xe fanva fele litru pemci befi la xomer. (A translation
of the Odyssey.) be'o fala xy. a zy. (by X. or Z.)

le cukta poi xe fanta fele litru pemci befi la xomer. (Translator
unspecified, such as kids come into our store asking for.)(Also,
da poi...)

lo xe fanta fele litru pemci befi la xomer. (Each & every 
translation.)

lei xe fanta fele litru pemci befi la xomer. (Mass of specific
translations the speaker has in mind, such as those he has read.)

loi xe fanta fele litru pemci befi la xomer. (All the translations,
as one mass.)

le ckaji be leka litru pemci befi la xomer. (Something which has some
quality we want to call it an "Odyssey" for.)

I oppose creating a special borrowing for this just because we are
used to skipping the author when referring to it in English. In
particular, this privileges the second meaning which is ignorant &
not "glorkable".