Subject: Re: [lojban] Digest Number 1129

From: Rob Speer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 01:20:31 -0500

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 06:47:08AM +0100, G. Dyke wrote:
> >maybe warm milk."
> 
> **loi zmavifne titnanba .e lo mliglaladru ju'ocu'i bazi se benji ko'a mi
> >
> 
> Should fresher be vifyzma (vifne zei zmadu) or zmavifne (zmadu zei vifne)?

Neither: it should be vifnymau, which is easier to pronounce. (I would
say {vifmau} if I felt that 'fresher' were an important enough word to
have a minimal lujvo.)

I suppose this would be a good time to reiterate my views on lujvo.

* Create a lujvo because you need to, not because you can. This would
probably arise from wanting a short word to express a common concept,
needing a specific place structure that only a lujvo could give you,
or possibly needing to express something where only a single word will
fit.
* As an exception, it makes sense to make lujvo using common affixes
which act on the place structure in a defined way, like {zmadu} or
{gasnu}.
* If you're making an uncommon word using a common affix, leave the
uncommon part in its 4-letter form for clarity. {cargau} for "turn" is
acceptable because it's a fairly common concept; {pungau} for
"elasticize" would be dumb. Use {prunygau} instead.
* If making the lujvo accomplishes nothing whatsoever, use the tanru.
Example: {selbroda}

-- 
la rab.spir
noi co'e