Subject: RE: new lujvo (was:Re: [lojban] Digest Number 1129

From: "Craig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 06:47:33 -0500

>> * Create a lujvo because you need to, not because you can. This would
>> probably arise from wanting a short word to express a common concept,
>> needing a specific place structure that only a lujvo could give you,
>> or possibly needing to express something where only a single word will
>> fit.

>I have come around to thinking that fluent speakers, who knew all the
>rafsi would systematically compress nonce tanru into lujvo. I find myself
>doing this with the few rafsi I know.

I disagree. A fluent speaker would know the difference in meaning between
the tanru and the lujvo. The lujvo would have a precise meaning and place
structure, generally given by the seljvajvo rules. The tanru would be a
beautifully vague but extremely expressive means of expressing an open-ended
or somewhat atypical idea. Rather than looking for the exact right word to
use, I expect a native lojbanistani to produce a long stream of gismu which
together express their idea in an almsot poetic way.

>Please try to create meaningful subject headers.

I agree. If you get the digests, use the subject line the rest of us use -
Number 1129 is meaningless to those who get individual mails.

--la kreig.daniyl.

'segu le balvi temci gi mi'o renvi lo purci
.i ga le fonxa janbe gi du mi'
-la djimis.BYFet

xy.sy. gubmau ckiku nacycme: 0x5C3A1E74