Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: Introduction, and zutse/se sutse

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 12:42:35 -0500

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 11:40:48PM -0000, [email-masked] wrote:
> what do you think about the movement to use hexadecimal as the 
> default lojban base?

To be honest, I haven't read much regarding the "movement". I think
making hex the default base has good and bad qualities, and it depends
largely on what your goals for the language are. I think it's arguable that
hex is more "logical" than decimal, for reasons lots of people have
described already. If your goal is simply to make lojban more logical, I
think a switch to hex might be appropriate. 

On the other hand, if your goal is to get more people to speak lojban, I
think switching to hex is probably a bad idea. Essentially everyone in the
world who knows how to do math is already familiar with decimal. Relatively
speaking, a small number of people are very familiar with hex math.
Regardless of the ease or difficulty of hexadecimal math, pressuring new
lojbanists to use hex is probably repellant.

Just my thoughts.

co'o mi'e djan.