Subject: Re: [lojban] i want my brain cells back!

From: And Rosta <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 17:51:56 +0000

#>>> <[email-masked]> 11/19/01 06:45am >>>
#i'm free of lojban! i finally got sick of basically one thing--it was 
#more irregular than even english! i feel like i wasted way too much 
#time trying to learn the specific words. just studying the grammar 
#would have been better. i wish i could get the parts of my brain that 
#i used to memorize words back! 
#
#i want my brain cells back!

I sympathize. I've always disliked learning other languages because it really does feel as though one's brain is being clogged up -- as if the knowledge
is using limited disk quota, as it were.

I've never made any effort to learn Lojban words. I've picked a lot up
without trying, and that feels natural, as if it imposes no load on my
memory. It's the same with Italian: I've tried studying it a couple of
times over the years, but given up after an hour for the reasons I've
described, but I picked a lot up from exposure, and that seems effortless.

I can't see how Lojban is more irregular than English, even though I
agree with you that if certain cmavo are supposed to correspond to
certain gismu then it would have been better to tweak the gismu to
make the correspondence regular.

Anyway, you won't find a better logical language than Lojban anywhere.
Yes it's imperfect, and yes it could be improved, but it's worth staying
involved with it because there's no better alternative.

--And.