Subject: RE: [lojban] presentation of lojban

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 02:28:19 -0500

At 09:22 PM 11/23/01 -0500, Craig wrote:
> >> it already has a few hundred speakers with a discernable culture. Also
> >is that number correct, or are you counting anyone who has ever seen a 
> lojban
> >sentence a speaker ;)
>
>Last I heard, there were about three hundred list subscribers and about 
>two hundred copies of the Book sold. I don't know the current figures, but 
>I do know that I would call myself a speaker (not a fluent one) but I do 
>not have the Book yet, so the three hundred seems closer to the mark.

Both numbers understate the size of the community.

There are around 250 subscribers to Lojban List, and probably close to that 
many who are non-subscribers who have either bought the book, or are 
subscribed to the paper journal Ju'i Lobypli (even though it has not been 
published in several years). The latter people are either not active on 
the net, or cannot handle the traffic volume for Lojban List. We also have 
many others on the inactive snail mail list - people who inquired but were 
not interested in pursuing further at this time, or who were waiting for 
textbook and dictionary publication. There are around 1000 of these, 
though I would expect only a small percentage of these to become active 
given the time it has taken for us to get this far.

Approximately 365 copies of the reference grammar have been sold. The 
original break-even point was around 500 sales, though we can pay off last 
of the printer loan with around 400 or a little more. (Anyone wanna buy a 
few dozen books or make a big donation?)

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org