Subject: RE: [lojban] presentation of lojban

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 01:53:00 -0500

At 08:14 AM 11/24/01 -0500, Craig wrote:
> >Yes. The clubs were the starting point but it quickly spread to quite
>independent Esperanto clubs and to unafiliated people (the first
> >person to confront Zamenhof speaking Esperanto was not a club member).
>
>But how old was the language at that time? Personally, I would date modern
>Lojban from the loglan/lojban split, which IIRC makes it about 12 years old.

Later than that. It was a year from the split until we even had a first 
cut at a gismu list. The draft textbook was written as I taught the first 
class in 1989, and we spent a year redesigning key parts of the language 
after that. The gismu list was baselined in 1994. The refgrammar of 1997 
is our Fundamento.

>And the first person to confront Lojbab speaking Lojban was probably not a
>club member, as I don't beleive there was a mailing list or wiki yet.

The first person that spoke to me conversationally in Lojban, other than 
students that I had taught personally, was probably Nick Nicholas in around 
1992 or 1993. The first fluent conversation in the language was a few 
years after that.

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org