Subject: Re: [lojban] lo'e and NAhEBO

From: And Rosta <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 16:52:42 +0000

Greg:
#coi rodo
#
#again I'm asking a question about lo'e:
#
l#et's say that the concept expressed by lo'e/le'e broda is that of the mode
#of a set and call it "typical."

Obviously, different positions on what lo'e/le'e mean will give you 
different answers. 

#is lo'e/le'e broda "one or more of all the things that are typical brode"/
#"all of the at least one thing I'm calling a typical brode"?

No. That's "lo fadni broda"/"le fadni broda".

#so lo'e ropno bangu = English or French or German or Spanish (or Italian)
#and le'e ropno bangu = SAE

SAE comes close to {lo'e ropno bangu} for people on either side of the
debates. 

#My second question: why is it that the refgram makes a big deal of NAhEBO
#(It certainly made a big impression on me) but it is almost never used. AmI
#wrong in thinking that na'ebo le broda is the same as le na'e broda?

You're definitely wrong about that. I *think* (without checking refgram) 
that {na'e bo le broda} = {lo na du be le broda}. 

As to why it doesn't get used, if indeed it doesn't, I can't think of any good
uses for it in ordinary contexts. Without having checked any texts, I would
guess that actual uses of it may tend to be errors where {na} was meant.

--And.