Subject: Re: [lojban] Practical cooperation 1: "is intended to be"

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 12:42:48 -0500

Jorge Llambias wrote:

> la djan cusku di'e

** la Djan cutse [LW for "the following text", no Loglan equivalent]

>>The problem: What's a good tanru/metaphor for the predicate "x1 is 
>>intended (or supposed) to be x2 by the intention of x3"?
>>
> 
> How about {te platu}?

** Lojban te = Loglan fu (and Lojban se = Loglan nu, later on).

** Lojban "platu" is roughly equivalent to Loglan "danci", but
the place structures are different:

** platu: x1 is the planner, x2 is the plan, x3 is what is described by
the plan.

** danci: x1 is the plan, x2 is what is described by the plan, x3 is the
planner.

** So platu = nufunu fu danci, and danci = te setese platu

> mu'o mi'e xorxes

** hue Xorxes.

My substantive comments:

I think that platu/danci sort of misses the point. If Humpty Dumpty
intends "glory" to mean "a nice knockdown argument", that does not
mean that "glory" is a *plan* for a nice knockdown argument.
Similarly, if I intend an extended middle finger to be an insult,
that does not make it a plan.

-- 
Not to perambulate || John Cowan <[email-masked]>
the corridors || http://www.reutershealth.com
during the hours of repose || http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
in the boots of ascension. \\ Sign in Austrian ski-resort hotel