Subject: RE: [lojban] The end of the wiki

From: "Craig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 16:20:06 -0500

>Steve Belknap was similarly monomaniacal about fuzzy logic and
>(quite rightly) never got abused. I don't see why people irked by

But I have a suspicion that he did not say deliberately inflammatory things
like (and this is a direct quote) "lojban being a language for intelligent
and logical people, i would hope most or all of the users are atheist."
Correct me if I'm wrong about that, but if not then won't you agree that
abusing someone who abuses most of the planet is a bit different than
attacking him just for hex/fuzzy logic/whatever? I actually have NEVER said
anything inflammatory about Tinkit's views on hex - ONLY how he presents
them.

>I created a section called "wouldn't it have been nice if" for
>ideas about how lojban could have been done differently, and for

But when you insist that it already WAS done differently, then that section
is for your inferiors, right?

>other kinds of dissent it should be possible to create clearly
>headed sections that make it clear they express dissenting and/or
>trollish views.

Good idea. As soon as someone posts in such a section, we will all know not
to abuse them for it. The problem is, nobody wants to label their own view
as trollish.

>"Exclaiming how broken Lojban is, and making up some wild solution"
>is a hallowed tradition in Lojbanistan. Lots of us do it to a greater or
>lesser extent, and it often moves the debate forward, even if only
>by making us aware of new reasons why it isn't broken after all.

But now that the baseline is in place, we make up wild solutions that add to
the language and do not compete with the baseline (almost always). Tinkit's
redo-the-gismu idea would moot the purpose of the gimste, make EVERYTHING
that any of us has written meaningless, over reasoning that is sufficiently
explained away in the Book.

>collegial, to the best of our abilities. Maybe it would also help to
>remember that if someone wasn't a bit of a crank they wouldn't be
>interested in Lojban in the first place; it is a law of nature that anybody
>here is a bit of a loon.

But we're in touch with the reality of the language we joined. We try to fix
the fact that hex is not the default (for arbitrary personal hexes), rather
than declare that it already was.

--la kreig.daniyl.

'segu le balvi temci gi mi'o renvi lo purci
.i ga le fonxa janbe gi du mi'
-la djimis.BYFet

xy.sy. gubmau ckiku nacycme: 0x5C3A1E74