Subject: [OT] XHTML (was: lojban.org transferred!)

From: Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 20:34:57 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Robin Lee Powell wrote:

> Can you give me a basic idea of why I should be interested in xhtml, or
> a pointer to same? I've never heard of it before.

XHTML is an XML DTD which encodes HTML4.0.

Its basically (as I understand it, I'm aware of somewhat more XML-aware
fellow in our midst, he might know more), meant to bring HTML under the
umbrella of XML, and simplify the parsing process, and make it easy to
extend HTML without breaking older clients.

Part of my personal homepage was XHTML, but I tend to make frequent
changes and usually forget to remain XML compliant, so it currently fails
well-formedness. You could still peek if you wanted, the key stuff is
still present at the top, I just don't have all my tags and whatnot
balanced.

If you don't care for XML, or don't see the point of it, then you're not
likely to care for XHTML.

(Personally, I feel that XHTML for the website would be nice, but it
doesn't really gain us anything in terms of accessibility by users. There
are better ways in which the website might be made more effective than
XHTML.)

- Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose