Subject: Re: [lojban] morphology

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 00:04:06 -0500

On Friday 30 November 2001 23:37, Bob LeChevalier (lojbab) wrote:
> Given the hierarchy, there is little doubt that the algorithm will succeed
> in resolving all conflicts. However, since fu'ivla wordforms are defined
> in the algorithm only by what they are NOT, we do nopt have a definitive
> algorithm for testing a wordform to see if it is a valid fu'ivla. We know
> that "slinku'i" words fail the "slinku'i" test. We don't know what other
> wordforms within brivla space are not lujvo or gismu and which do not fail
> the test except by trial and error. The human process of testing words for
> possible breakup is sufficiently unintuitive and subject to error, that we
> simply avoid the difficulty for now, especially since type 3 fu'ivla are
> good enough for everyone except Pierre %^).

And whoever made up {odbenu} (I could probably figure that out by 
interrogating Alice's cvs log, but haven't bothered).

> The classic example of this problem is the brivla "iglu". 

According to vlatai it is valid. An objection was raised that {iglu zbasu} is 
misheard as {i gluzbasu}; however, that would require a pause since {i} is 
stressed and precedes a three-syllable brivla. I consider VCCV as unusable, 
but VC/CV (e.g. {alga}, {otpi}) as usable.

phma