Subject: Re: [lojban] software for the mac (was: The end of the wiki)

From: Björn Gohla <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 09:57:46 +0100

On Thursday 29 November 2001 21:02, Jay Kominek wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Steven Belknap wrote:
> > I post infrequently to the list because we have 3 children, aged 1,3,4.
> > The time I formerly spent posting or playing with lojban, I now spend
> > with them. I do read the list (almost) daily. I am hoping to teach my
> > children the language. On this point, what is the latest with Macintosh
> > software for learning lojban? I am now using MacOSX, which is a UNIX
> > based operating system, and I wondered if anybody could translate some
> > of the UNIX based lojban learning tools to the new Macintosh operating
> > system.
>
> The only UNIX-based tool I know of is jbofi'e.
>
> A friend of mine has an OSX laptop. I'll see what I can do about compiling
> jbofi'e for it. Really, though, it should be a very straight-forward
> process. (Maybe I'll fiddle around with making a GUI. OSX's development
> tools make me drool.)
>
> If anyone wants to buy me an OSX system, I'll be happy to develop any
> Lojban software they'd like for it. :)
err, well, not to disturb you, but there is gnustep (http://www.gnustep.org) 
which aims at being an open source implementation of the openstep api (it 
runs on unix-like systems and even cygwin, though there is so far no native 
gui on windows). it is not perfect yet, but quite usable. most importantly, 
as i announced a while ago on this list, there is the Popup.app vocab tool 
(http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~bjoern/Popup/) being written by me. it can 
extract the lojban vocabulary from a marked text selection via cmafi'e and 
then query the user for them by displaying a word in one language and 
offering a fixed number of choices in the other language which is selected 
simply by clicking on it. i plan to add sound and pictures later which would 
make it more attractive and useful to children as well. i am not sure if it 
compiles on macosx out of the box but an able osx programmer could probably 
port it single handed.

- -- 
- --------------------
la lojban cu xamgu bangu .i ko viska la'o url. http://www.lojban.org .url 
pub 1024D/834F4976 2001-01-07 Björn Gohla (Wissenschaftler, Weltbürger) 
<[email-masked]>
Key fingerprint = 9FF4 FEDA CCDF DA0E 14D5 8129 6C14 3C39 834F 4976
sub 1024g/29571FE2 2001-01-07