Subject: Re: [lojban] Job 38:2

From: "Adam Raizen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 05:42:30 -0000

la pier. cusku di'e

> > > By the way, what are the two doors of the sea?
> >
> > "Vayasekh bidlataim yam" -> "He covered -- with two doors -- (the)
> > sea." Something like ".i gairgau re vorme le xamsi"
>
> {.i ga'orgau le re vorme fo le xamsi noi pojli'a le xy gutra} is
what I have
> now - I didn't know what exactly "vayasekh" meant - but what are the
doors?
> (Neither English translation says that there are two of them.) Are
they the
> earth and the air?

I'm not sure what the exact meaning of "vayasekh" is either, but it's
related to "masakh", "skhakha", "sukka", etc., so "covered" or
"divided". You could probably get very mystical about what the
allegories are in this passage, and I'm not sure how best to interpret
them. I happen to have the commentary from Mosad Harav Kook here, and
it says that "vayasekh" is "made a partition" ("`asah mekhitsah") and
that the two doors are an likening of the rocks in the bays of the
seas to doors which close before the water before it can break out
onto land ("דימה את הסלעים שבמפרצי הים לדלתות הסוגרות בפני המים לפרוץ
ליבשה").

mu'o mi'e .adam.