Subject: Re: [lojban] [WWWW] Goals for http://www.lojban.org/

From: Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 16:56:17 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Robin Lee Powell wrote:

> So, I'm reviewing various aspects of lojban.org and my own skills (I'm
> even learning CSS!). I just want to make sure that everyone agrees with
> the following goals for the main lojban page. Note that I'm only
> talking about the main page at this point, not the subpages. The main
> page is intended for newbies; it is assumed serious lojbanists will have
> sub-pages bookmarked.

Personally, I don't ever bookmark subpages of a site, unless the site as a
whole is uninteresting to me. (Like a Lojban-Esperanto comparison on an
otherwise Esperanto site, or something. Not to knock Espernato, of
course...)

> 3. The main page should make it abundantly clear that the lojban
> community is active.

That one could almost stand to be even more important.

> 4. While the main page is not designed primarily for serious
> lojbanists, it should still make it *easy* for them to find the
> information they need. Please note the difference between 'easy' and
> 'fast'.

It should be easy for everyone to find what they're looking for. It should
also be fast to get to information which you know the location of already.
(I don't think those are conflicting. But should they be, I certainly
agree that ease (or nonconfusion) is more important.)

> 6. The page should at least be visually appealing enough to not
> actively drive users away. 8)

7. The page should also load promptly. (Not that I would expect you to use
any of the following, but nothing like applets, flash, MIDI background
music, etc, etc. Just being on the verbose side. :) Images should really
be avoided, also. I can't really see them adding much of anything.

- Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose