Subject: Re: [lojban] [WWWW] Goals for http://www.lojban.org/

From: "Robert J. Chassell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 16:51:22 +0000 (UTC)

.... I just want to make sure that everyone agrees with
the following goals for the main lojban page. ...

In my experience, the single best discipline for writing a good Web
page is to write so that the page works well for a blind person
listening to it. 

You may not expect any of your visitors will be driving a car, and
listening to pages, or to be permanently blind, but nonetheless, a
page that works well with the blind works well with the sighted.

* Structure the page so it makes sense when heard out loud.

* Arrange for good and clear navigation.

* Use meaningful ALT tags for all images.

You can check a Web page for handicapped access using the `Bobby'
(from CAST, the Center for Applied Special Technology):

http://www.cast.org/bobby/

Other useful sites are:

The `Best Viewed With Any Browser' site
http://www.anybrowser.org/campaign/

Curmudgeonly Comments on bad Web page design from
Eric S. Raymond
http://www.ccil.org/~esr/html-hell.html

Web Site Guidelines - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation
http://www.fsf.org/server/fsf-html-style-sheet.html

W3C HTML Validation Service
http://validator.w3.org/

-- 
Robert J. Chassell [email-masked]
Rattlesnake Enterprises http://www.rattlesnake.com