Subject: Re: thoughts on numerical language

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 02:49:24 -0000

--- In lojban@y..., pycyn@a... wrote:
> In a message dated 12/4/2001 6:05:56 PM Central Standard Time, 
> thinkit8@l... writes:
> 
> 
> > In the end, the quickness of expressions determines what gets 
> > expressed, too (isn't that Zipf?).
> > 
> 
> Not really. At most it would be that what is most shortly 
expressed gets 
> said most, but even that is not quite right -- and is wrong 
way 'round.
> 
> <Viewed numerically, a typical phonology can be 
> thought of as a mixed base number perhaps>
> 
> As can anything with a bit of ingenuity. What is the point here?
> 
> <I think it will differentiate itself when you start looking at 
> things that are just too cumbursome that they are never expressed 
in 
> a human language. For example, in a binary language it's easy to 
> imbed something like a bitmap to directly describe a flat picture 
> (or indeed any flat bit string, like a DSD sound).>
> 
> Well, now we have gone beyond language to including the thing 
itself (yes, I 
> know that the picture, nor the jpeg (or whatever) of the picture 
is not 
> strictly the thing itself but it fails to be in a rather different 
way that a 
> linguistic reference or a linguistic description fail to be -- and 
a way 
> closer to the thing). I don't mind illustrated text, but I think 
calling the 
> illustration a part of the text is pushing terminology a bit too 
far.

I'd think of it as a superset. If you define something numerically, 
you can do both the language stuff, and the illustration, which is 
not a "linguistic description". Sure you can do that now, but you 
get rough boundries between them. A rough example is binary 
encoding in newsgroup texts...it's a hack at best.