Subject: Re: [lojban] [WWWW] Big update!

From: Rob Speer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 16:20:43 -0500

On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 11:31:25AM -0800, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> Everyone, please take a look at http://www.digitalkingdom.org:8080/
> 
> I've stolen a bunch of ideas from the Lojban Portal, and some from Jay's
> site as well.

I should have read this message before sending my earlier reply. (I hope
I sent that to the list, and not to Jay or whoever's message I hit
"reply" on.)

> One thing: some browsers have margin problems (such as the list items
> being mushed into the left hand menu). These will not be fixed, because
> they are your browser's fault; it is non-conformant to the CSS standard
> in stupid ways (notably Mozilla and Netscape 4.*). I have made the
> pages work as well as I can with 6 different browsers (Mozilla, Netscape
> 4, IE, Opera, lynx and w3m; all on Windows except the last two). I
> assure you, anything that I do to make it look better for you will
> completely break things in at least one other browser.

The margins are all set to 1% or 2%, which comes out to a pixel or two.
Given that, I'd say Mozilla is showing them right. What browser is broken by
setting these to a reasonable value?

Do all browsers show a blue box around the images? I'm fairly sure
that's the default unless border=0 is set.

> If such issues are really annoying you, please send in a bug report for
> the browser in question.

There are still people who use Netscape 4. I fear that in your quest for
correctness you might have to create practically a different page for
Netscape 4.

In one of my versions of the page, I made all the font sizes relative to
whatever the standard font was, so that the page would adjust
accordingly for people who preferred large fonts or small fonts.
Unfortunately, Netscape 4 decided to apply those percentages
*recursively*, resulting in some shockingly large text. So I went back
to absolute sizes (as in "small" and "medium") as a compromise. The idea
of "Best Viewed in Any Browser" even includes browsers which are
gigantic screw-ups.

-- 
la rab.spir
noi sarji zo gumri