Subject: Re: [lojban] garfield

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 16:28:01 -0500

G. Dyke wrote:

> Got Garfield onto his page: http://lojban.tripod.com
> 
> any comments apart from my having forgotten to lojbanize Garfield to
> garfild?

Get consent from the Garfield people, pronto. The Lojban translation

of the text is probably fair use, but the use of Jim Davis's art
is definitely not.

The Right Thing seems to be to fill out the form at
http://content.uclick.com/contact_us/index.html
(uclick is Garfield's on-line syndicator) and ask for permission.
Emphasize that you only want to run these five specific strips,
that you are not acting for profit, and that they are faithful
translations of Davis's original text. You should also
offer to provide a link to www.garfield.com and an appropriate
copyright notice.

Reuters Health, at any rate, routinely grants permission
without charge to use its content in this way. Good luck.

-- 
Not to perambulate || John Cowan <[email-masked]>
the corridors || http://www.reutershealth.com
during the hours of repose || http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
in the boots of ascension. \\ Sign in Austrian ski-resort hotel