Subject: Re: [lojban] [WWWW] Goals for http://www.lojban.org/ (fwd)

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 18:10:04 -0800

On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 02:24:17PM -0700, Jay Kominek wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 12:38:23PM -0700, Jay Kominek wrote:
> > The new page is much more pleasent to look at. :)
> 
> I agree. And it does better on the content side than the page Xod and
> I had.

Why thank you.

> I'm rather impressed by the use of float sections instead of tables -
> something I never learned.

I read most of the CSS spec, cuz I'm a masochist. 8)

> However, a couple things about the page are kinda ugly. First, of
> course, there's the blue borders around the images - get rid of those
> with border=0 in the <img> tag. 

Fixed.

> And the text runs right up to the edge of each float section, making
> it hard to read. I see that this can be set in "padding" properties,
> so those percentages just need to be higher.

Nope, doesn't do it. In every browser where those settings are not
ignored, it looks fine. Seriously. What browser?

> It rather looks like the right sidebar begins higher than the left
> one, giving a rather lopsided appearance.

Again, that would be Netscape's fault. If I put a margin setting on the
right one, it folds over to the left. BTW, netscape ignores my requests
to remove the picture borders, sorry.

> "You email" should of course be "Your email", if not "Your email
> address".

Done.

> I think the text in the margins could afford to be smaller. Right now
> the left column is about twice as long as everything else. The purpose
> of using a sans-serif font in our version was that sans-serif is easy
> to read at small sizes. I don't even think it would be too much of a
> problem to use sans-serif in the sidebars and serif in the main
> column, if you so prefer. The style sheet you have should make that
> change very easy to make.

Heh heh.

You should probably bear in mind that I'm reading this on 1600x1200, but
I'll cut it down a bit. Another problem is that Netscape uses these
incredibly eye-bleeding microscopic fonts.

And see my next post.

> Next to the heading, the dates are the most prominent thing on the
> page. That's just a bit weird now, but it could become quite a problem
> if activity slows down on the site and the second thing a visitor sees
> is a really old date. These could afford to be a couple of header
> sizes smaller. On my screen, for example, "26 November 2001" appears
> on 3 lines.

Fixed, I hope.

> The bullets are all on the outside of the text. That's a neat trick,
> and I wish I had known how to do that on my version. But since your
> version has extra space between bullet points anyway, it is not
> necessary for the bullets to stick out to the side, and you could
> reclaim some space in the sidebar by having the text wrap below the
> bullets.

Again, that effect is due to your browser. None of mine do that.

-Robin

-- 
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ BTW, I'm male, honest.
le datni cu djica le nu zifre .iku'i .oi le so'e datni cu to'e te pilno
je xlali -- RLP http://www.lojban.org/