Subject: Re: [lojban] [WWWW] Big update!

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 18:17:11 -0800

On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 04:20:43PM -0500, Rob Speer wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 11:31:25AM -0800, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> > One thing: some browsers have margin problems (such as the list
> > items being mushed into the left hand menu). These will not be
> > fixed, because they are your browser's fault; it is non-conformant
> > to the CSS standard in stupid ways (notably Mozilla and Netscape
> > 4.*). I have made the pages work as well as I can with 6 different
> > browsers (Mozilla, Netscape 4, IE, Opera, lynx and w3m; all on
> > Windows except the last two). I assure you, anything that I do to
> > make it look better for you will completely break things in at least
> > one other browser.
> 
> The margins are all set to 1% or 2%, which comes out to a pixel or
> two. 

Not at 1600x1200; more like a quarter of an inch.

> Given that, I'd say Mozilla is showing them right. What browser is
> broken by setting these to a reasonable value?

IE and Netscape, at least.

> Do all browsers show a blue box around the images? I'm fairly sure
> that's the default unless border=0 is set.

The box is because the pictures are both links. I've told the box to go
away.

> > If such issues are really annoying you, please send in a bug report
> > for the browser in question.
> 
> There are still people who use Netscape 4. I fear that in your quest
> for correctness you might have to create practically a different page
> for Netscape 4.

No, I'm going to create a compliant website that runs as best as
possible on everything. If something breaks only one browser,
especially if it's Nutscrape, I'll probably leave it that way.

But so far I've managed to develop reasonable compromises.

> In one of my versions of the page, I made all the font sizes relative
> to whatever the standard font was, so that the page would adjust
> accordingly for people who preferred large fonts or small fonts.
> Unfortunately, Netscape 4 decided to apply those percentages
> *recursively*, resulting in some shockingly large text. So I went back
> to absolute sizes (as in "small" and "medium") as a compromise. The
> idea of "Best Viewed in Any Browser" even includes browsers which are
> gigantic screw-ups.

<nod>

-Robin

-- 
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ BTW, I'm male, honest.
le datni cu djica le nu zifre .iku'i .oi le so'e datni cu to'e te pilno
je xlali -- RLP http://www.lojban.org/