Subject: Re: [lojban] [WWWW] Big update!

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 22:11:51 EST

In a message dated 12/5/2001 8:19:54 PM Central Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> No, I'm going to create a compliant website that runs as best as
> possible on everything. If something breaks only one browser,
> especially if it's Nutscrape, I'll probably leave it that way.
> 

Damn, I hate to be the one to keep saying this -- and to the same person all 
the time -- but if you really want to make a good impression outside the 
lunatic fringe, you do a good job on Netscape and IE (it is nice that Bill 
Gates isn't getting all the blame on this one -- not that he doesn't deserve 
all he gets and more in the general scheme of things) and assume that all the 
other, "better" versions can catch up and clean up as well. As usual, 
Netscape accounts for (did 6 months ago anyhow and it hasn't varied much for 
a while) just under 47% of all browsers, with IE a point behind, leaving all 
the rest at a tad over 8%. That is a lot of people who, coming to Lojban, 
get a less than perfect view of what is going on. Saying that it glows in 
Voldenuit Browser doesn't impress them much when they see what is in front of 
them -- except to convince them that this is an elitist fringe group that has 
nothing to offer them. this is probably true, but is not the impression we 
try to give (I hope). Bite the bullet and make it look good for hoi polloi; 
I'm sure the royal eunuchs can manage to do well with a version for the 
masses (witness how well they write instruction manuals).