Subject: [WWW] browser usage statistics (was: Big update!)

From: Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 21:48:11 -0700 (MST)

http://www.google.com/press/zeitgeist.html

Given that Google is now the leading search engine, especially among
people willing to try new things (our target crowd), it is a valid source
for information about browser usage.

MSIE 5.0 and 5.5 are about tied for number of users, and the both of them
have 3 times more users than Netscape 4.x, which has almost haved in usage
in the past 6 months. MSIE 6.0 is sky rocketing. (A bit of rough math
taking into account only those 4 browers, pegs IE with 87.5%, tossing in
the other broswers would lower it slightly.)

http://browserwatch.internet.com/stats/stats.html

BrowserWatch pegs Internet Explorer with 86.8% of users, Netscape (all
versions combined) with 6.77%, Opera and lynx with 2.2% and 1.1%
respectively. That agrees with Google's Zeitgeist data.

(And of course, we all know that Microsoft is the end all and be all of
computing, and as such, we shouldn't even be considering the use of
non-Microsoft software in the first place... right?)

A dissenting party would of course, need to provide references for their
claims, or else be disregarded as an uninformed crank. (Rather reminiscent
of academia, don't you think?)

- Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose