Subject: Re: [lojban] [WWWW] Goals for http://www.lojban.org/ (fwd)

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 06:10:46 -0500

At 06:10 PM 12/5/01 -0800, you wrote:
> > It rather looks like the right sidebar begins higher than the left
> > one, giving a rather lopsided appearance.
>
>Again, that would be Netscape's fault. If I put a margin setting on the
>right one, it folds over to the left. BTW, netscape ignores my requests
>to remove the picture borders, sorry.

IE5 also has it looking lopsided. It appears that the left block is at the 
same height as the top of the capital L in Lojban. The right block extends 
above the final "l" of logical, such that the margin line around the logo 
is lined up with the top of that "l".

Interestingly the problem seems to vary with the width of the window I am 
looking at the page with. I had a favorites window on the left, so that 
the top line ended with "logical" for the above comment. When I closed the 
favorites window, I noticed that the two sidebars are even more 
lopsided. Then I reopened the favorites window and it returned to the 
original amount of misalignment. Finally I tried widening and narrowing 
the favorites window, and doing so smoothly I can see a couple of places 
where the left sidebar drops as the view window gets wider. The biggest 
drop comes when widening past the point where wordwrap moves the "has" of 
"has been built" up to the third line of the center column text.

> > "You email" should of course be "Your email", if not "Your email
> > address".
>
>Done.

Still looks the same here "You email [many spaces] ad with the hint of a 
second d on the edge of the fill in window.

> > Next to the heading, the dates are the most prominent thing on the
> > page. That's just a bit weird now, but it could become quite a problem
> > if activity slows down on the site and the second thing a visitor sees
> > is a really old date. These could afford to be a couple of header
> > sizes smaller. On my screen, for example, "26 November 2001" appears
> > on 3 lines.
>
>Fixed, I hope.

It is on 2 lines for me, with the 2001 the only thing on the second line.

I am viewing at 800x600 if that matters.

> > The bullets are all on the outside of the text. That's a neat trick,
> > and I wish I had known how to do that on my version. But since your
> > version has extra space between bullet points anyway, it is not
> > necessary for the bullets to stick out to the side, and you could
> > reclaim some space in the sidebar by having the text wrap below the
> > bullets.
>
>Again, that effect is due to your browser. None of mine do that.

I think he is referring to the hanging indents in the left sidebar, which 
look nice, but have a lot of white space for me.

I see:

-----------
About Lojban
(1 1/2 spaces)
. What is Lojban? (the bullet matches the 'o' of about, the "What" 
lines up with "L" of Lojban.
(1 1/2 spaces)
A brief ...
constructed language Lojban
(1 1/2 spaces)
. Why learn
-------
and the large amount of space between paragraphs, as well as the degree of 
indent makes it look nice but at the expense of chewing up a lot of white 
space. The formatting on the two sidebars seems fixed - when I narrow the 
window as described above, the two sidebars are unchanged, but the central 
window gets narrower and narrower until sooner or later even the main 
heading drops below the right sidebar.

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org