Subject: Re: [lojban] French beginner

From: Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 09:04:50 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, jxehxom wrote:

> Sorry to write in English, I can't say I have really started to learn
> Lojban yet...

Don't worry, it is completely appropriate to discuss Lojban in English.

> I have tried to find resources in French, but didn't really found any.
> I am considering translating some materials in French and putting them
> somewhere (I think it would be a good way to learn Lojban).

If you don't have web space of your own, you could always place them in
the Lojban Wiki. That would be difficult for a large project, however.

> Before I begin, I have some questions:
>
> - Has it already been done?

The only material in French which I'm aware of is:
http://www.epita.fr/~poss_r/lojban/

> - The most recent (English) course material I have found are the
> "Lojban Level 0 Brochure and Lessons" at
> http://www.tlg.uci.edu/~opoudjis/lojbanbrochure/ .
> Am I correct?

Yup.

> - What is the copyright/copyleft status of the above material? (***)

I believe the LLG allows translation of all their material, since you're
doing so to advance Lojban, but the above stuff isn't in the hands of the
LLG yet. So, as you mentioned you were going to do, you should contact
Robin Turner and Nick Nicholas. I think someone is already translating it
into German, though, so a French translation shouldn't be a problem. (And
besides the lessons still being somewhat in-progress, I can't imagine
anyone complaining about a translation of them! :)

- Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose