Subject: Re: [lojban] le vlatai be lo cmene

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 17:25:43 -0500

Pierre Abbat wrote:

> I'm reading the Lessons and I saw a name {antonis.routc.}. This looks odd to 
> me, as {ou} is not a valid diphthong. vlatai calls {routc} valid, but since 
> {ou} is not a Lojban diphthong, it must be implicitly inserting a comma.

No two words differ solely because of the presence or absence of commas,
so "routc" and "ro,utc" are the same word.

> 
> I then tried {ryytc}, {raatc}, {ryitc}, and {riytc}. {ryytc} is rejected as 
> "Bad cmene - doesn't break up", but {ry,ytc} is accepted. {ryitc} is rejected 
> with or without the comma. What is going on?

Those look like bugs.

> vlatai also accepts both {auskalerik} and {euskalerik}. The latter is closer 
> to the native pronunciation AFAIK, but I picked the former because {eu} is 
> not a Lojban diphthong. vlatai also accepts {ckankeu} which is clearly wrong.

No, it is synonymous with ckanke,u, which can be (but need not be)
pronounced ckanke'u.

-- 
Not to perambulate || John Cowan <[email-masked]>
the corridors || http://www.reutershealth.com
during the hours of repose || http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
in the boots of ascension. \\ Sign in Austrian ski-resort hotel