Subject: Re: Romany and Romanian

From: "aolung" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 08:33:16 -0000

--- In lojban@y..., Pierre Abbat <phma@o...> wrote:
> On Thursday 06 December 2001 21:15, pycyn@a... wrote:
> > How did we get 'em confused in the first place? One is eccentric Romanc=
e,
> > the eccentric Indic and, though I suppose the Dom came through Roumania=
on
> > their way to Western Europe, I don't think they lingered there more tha=
n
> > most places (til next week's pogrom). As far as I ever heard (never in=

> > ideals circumstances) the initial consonant in the Gypsy selfname is a
> > retroflex voiced stop, whence the d/r variation. Maybe we can call the=
m
> > Doms (Indians regularly take English alveolars as retroflex since they =
are
> > back of the native detnals).
> 
> I found the word {natmrsindo} on the tutra pe le terdi page. Where did th=
at 
> come from?

Romania in Romanian is spelled like in English (where the final-a is the ar=
ticle, without it it's just "Românie").
Its pronounced different though: about {romyNIa} or {romyNIe}.
The R. language is "româneste" {romynecte} or "limba româna" {limba romYny}=
.

"romno" m, or "romni" f, means gypsy man or woman. "Roma" now refers to Gyp=
sies from Eastern European decent, "Sinti" 
(Sindi) is the name for German (Western) Gypsy people. (sindo=man).

Originally, "rom" (romm, xom, rum, romma, rommi) means "man" (male), husban=
d, Gypsy (e.g. roméskro=male, romeskro dad=
father-in-law, roméskri dai=mother-in-law, romedino=married etc. etc.). It'=
s from aind. "dom"=man from low decent who plays 
music in the streets etc.

sinto (sindo, sendo, mostly in pl. sindi, sindhi, sendi, sinte, zinde etc.)=
from Hindustani: sänt, Balochi: sand, Sindhi: sandhu, Pali: 
sandhi with the meaning of Bund, joined group etc. (hindustan.: sathi=comra=
de)

mi'e .aulun.