Subject: Re: [lojban] Logical translation request

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2001 23:22:01

la pycyn cusku di'e

> > gasnu is "to make someone else do something".
> >
> > I would ahve said "to bring it about that" which does not require 
>another
>agent intermeidary (though it does suggest one);

Yes, I also glossed it as "to make something happen". The point was
just to distinguish it from English "to do", which is much better
served by {zukte}.

> <caku le se zukte pu simlu le ka lojdra>
>
>"Now the act seemed valid" I think the {ca} has got to be pinned down to
>something,

That will come fron the context. caku = ca zo'e = ca le nu co'e.
{caku} in general is "then", not "now"! And even more
so when the overall tense of the bridi is an explicit {pu}.

>and {lojdra} just doesn't fit at all (pace English -- Lord, the
>problems that always causes in Logic classes!)

I detected some irony in the way the problem was posed and thought
{lojdra} was the best way to reflect that. Maybe I read too much
into it.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp