Subject: Re: [lojban] Logical translation request

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 08:23:41 -0500

On Wednesday 12 December 2001 02:59, Edward Cherlin wrote:
> ca lenu co'e kei lenu gasnu kei pu simlu le ka lojdra
>
> "At the time of some event, the event of being an agent seemed to have the
> property of being valid" Maybe "doing something seemed valid"?
>
> In any case, I'll focus on {lojdra} and suggest that that is almost
> certainly not what is meant (I know it is what is said, more or less, in
> English). This seems to be a practical more than a strictly logical
> matter, even if it points to a careful consideration of the outcomes of a
> variety of choices carried out by deep reasoning. The test is what result
> is best, not what follows from what -- though what result is best may be
> decided by what a deduction from a statement of goals. Of course, "seemed"
> suggests that there was no serious argumentation, rather a rough-and-ready
> calculation or maybe just intuition or even a guess -- so no logic at all
> in fact. "Seemed most likely to lead to a successful outcome" is about the
> sense.

After hearing the suggestions of others, I settled on {ca lenu co'e le se 
zukte cu simlu le ka racli}. How does that sound?

phma