Subject: Re: [lojban] Logical translation request

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 10:15:32 EST

In a message dated 12/12/2001 8:02:13 AM Central Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> After hearing the suggestions of others, I settled on {ca lenu co'e le se 
> zukte cu simlu le ka racli}. How does that sound?
> 

Better, but I wonder about the se racli, the standard. I don't like the 
lujvo that go into all of the details (which Cherlin has provided) but 
something more than "sane" or even "rational" seems called for to deal with 
choosing the highest scoring in a dispassionate evaluation of options in a 
situation. I wonder if {prije} (well, {se prije}) might not be useful here 
for its inclusion of an evaluative component as well as a rational one. Part 
of the trouble is that the notional area this deals with is not well explored 
-- certainly in Lojban but also in English. 
{logji} is strictly about the means by which a conclusion is reached (really 
strictly it does not even require that that method be a "good" one, only that 
it be a specifiable method). It says nothing about either premises, which 
may be purest crap even if the method is good.
{racli} is about behavior in context and says nothing about the motivation of 
the behavior (an insane man may behave rationally by doing something crazy in 
the situation as he incorrectly perceives it). Sarek may be presumed to have 
an accurate view of the situation and to work from that view to an accurate 
assessment of alternatives, but the view is necessarily limited (Hell, human 
males haven't figured out women, what chance did an et have?), so "seemed to 
fit the situation by the standard of good logic applied to available 
information" where the standard might be assumed to be the usual -- at least 
for Vulcan diplomats.
{prije} is about the agent and is subjective, which makes it appropriate here 
again, though that is already impicit in the "seemed."
{drani} actually brings in many of the points again: situation and standard, 
but the property is less clear in this case.