Subject: RE: [lojban] Logical translation request

From: Invent Yourself <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 12:27:03 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Edward Cherlin wrote:

> Sorry, I didn't realize that the context would not be recognized.

Assume that we're all Trekkies, eh?

> The exact quotation, from the episode Journey To Babel, is
>
> * "Emotional, isn't she?" -- Spock
> * "She has always been so." -- Sarek
> * "Indeed. Why did you marry her?" -- Spock
> * "It seemed the logical thing to do at the time." -- Sarek

The inclusion of the context changes everything! Without context,
translators feel responsible for carrying as much background as they can!
In the context of this discussion, the obvious utterance becomes the
lightweight {pe'i racli}. I am dreadfully sorry that it doesn't carry all
the apparent irony and quotability of the English, but all the zo'es are
completely understood by Spock.

Do you want Real Fun? Let's discuss whether the fictional Vulcan
philosophy is actually rational. In Lojban.

-- 
The tao that can be tar(1)ed
is not the entire Tao.
The path that can be specified
is not the Full Path.