Subject: Re: [lojban] chemical names

From: Invent Yourself <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 12:38:54 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Pierre Abbat wrote:

> On Thursday 13 December 2001 08:33, [email-masked] wrote:
> > phma asked for lojban names for specific chemicals. i wonder what the
> > general naming conventions for chemical compounds are (or might be) in
> > lojban. anyone have any ideas?
>
> My idea is that there should be some new rafsi for types of chemicals. I came
> up with gil (gikla) for -yl, but couldn't find a good set for -ane, -ene,
> -yne.

Shouldn't you use numbers here? It seems like a perfect opportunity to
replace a series of arbitrary names with the numbers that they represent!
Or, translate a canonical naming method instead of the common name?

-- 
The tao that can be tar(1)ed
is not the entire Tao.
The path that can be specified
is not the Full Path.