Subject: RE: [lojban] Re: Software Translation of Lojban

From: "And Rosta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 01:57:16 -0000

charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I haven't been following this thread attentively, but from reading this it
seems as though
Discourse Representation Theory might be of interest. I can't cite books,
but a net
search on DRT is bound to turn up key stuff.

--And.
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 14 December 2001 20:41
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: Software Translation of Lojban

In a message dated 12/14/2001 12:06:18 PM Central Standard Time,
[email-masked] writes:

Titles? Author(s)? Journals? Dates? Even an elaboration of the details
as
you recall them would speed up a search for the articles.

I know this stuff exists, but I never went into it very deeply (one of the
disadvantages of having only undergrads is that you never get to do much fun
stuff, even the good ones, being CS majors, want to do Goedel rather thna
mere logic). What I can lay my hands on or vaguely remember are rather
diffuse.

The best is by Hans Kamp (and somebody), one of the logico-linguistics
from UCLA at the time of Montague and Prior. It was called something like
"From Discourse to Logic" or so and probably was published by Kluwer in the
mid--90's (my copy disappeared in the last move, I think). It probably has
a bibliography.

Herbert Otto: Step for a system of translation from ordinary discourse
into an applied logic", PhD Thesis, U Pa, 1968 (University Microfilms
69-152) is near the beginning of the work but is pretty advanced for the
time. What he left out turned out to be the really big problems, for the
most part; similarly, what he put in is mostly right.

John Barker: ProtoThinker (I have version 4.1, but I think there is at
least one later version) Wadsworth Publishing cd-rom (ISBN 0-535-53490-2,
for the instructor's version). This has a program that actually does a bit
of the work, with varying degres of plausibility. It is a step beyind the
thumb-rules in every imaginable logic textbook, but is rather shaky on
interesting cases. There is a website -- or was -- for the ProtoThinker
project which may have supplemented this material more.

Beyond these there are several articles that I remember seeing but can not
recall any details of, but that I can runs scans on over the vacation (Phil
Doc Cen is just jammed during finals weeks -- meaning it has a small staff,
mostly students, not that there are that many demands on it absolutely).

So there is a largely useless start.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
ADVERTISEMENT

To unsubscribe, send mail to [email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.