Subject: The new Lojban page

From: Nick Nicholas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 19:16:27 +1100

How the new page looks on MacOSX browsers.

Netscape 6: Sidebars in the right place, looks very nice. The box around
the sidebars is 3d.

IE 5.5: Sidebars in the right place and shaded as they should be; the box
around the sidebars is 2d (uniform black around all sides.) No wrapping of
the text, as in Netscape, so the text proper remains 'centered', below the
sidebars.

iCab: Sidebars above text, both flush left, one on top of the other. Shaded
in gray as expected. "la lojban" box and "About the Logical Language Group"
spill over outside gray shading.

OmniWeb: The sidebars turn up as left-flush lists, before the main text; no
shading or anything to speak of. As a result, the page looks like it's '96
vintage, but at least the degradation is a little more graceful than for
iCab (which shouldn't have bothered with the background, if it couldn't
calculate the box width properly.)

Of course, CSS is not well-implemented everywhere (iCab screams in its
preference screen that "Not all of CSS1 is implemented"!), so this is
hardly surprising. My surprise was that Netscape was actually the best
looking of the lot. Don't tell me Netscape's finally doing something
right...

Yes, am alive and in Australia, btw. I am having problems with my Unix on
MacOSX: I haven't allowed enough room in my partition, so I'll just get a
new drive in a week or so, and install my tools on it to recompile the
brochure and lessons.

Dr Nick Nicholas. [email-masked]
http://www.opoudjis.net
"Must I, then, be the only one to be beheaded now?" "Why, did you want
everybody to be beheaded for your consolation?" Epictetus, Discourses 1.1.