Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: Binary Language

From: Rob Speer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 02:55:47 -0500

On Sun, Dec 23, 2001 at 04:27:52AM -0000, thinkit41 wrote:
> Give is simple, the subject (arg1) is the giver, and the object 
> (arg2) is the object given. A sentence tag defines the recipient. 
> Are there any really ternary verbs in English? You only get things 
> like "give me the object" because we are shortening from "give the 
> object to me".

Many verbs are ternary - ones which have a subject, direct object, and
indirect object. Putting in the optional "to" before "me" doesn't make
it any less the indirect object of "give"; in fact, it makes it more
_explicitly_ the indirect object.

The recipient is a part of the action of giving; if you give a dollar to
nobody, you are not a giver.

If you're going to leave necessary places out of your place structures,
why are you even bothering to use place structures in the first place?
If you could get over your fascination with the number 2 you could just
make everything a tag like in Voksigid.

Then again, I can't see how tags are implemented at all in your
language. Or, in fact, get your revised description - is it in a
different place from the original?

-- 
la rab.spir
noi 001110110100110101