Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: Binary Language

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 09:40:58 EST

In a message dated 12/22/2001 10:28:06 PM Central Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> I listed the conventions, so perhaps the muck will have some meaning 
> now

Where is the new version? The one at 
http://home.earthlink.net/~thinkyad/bl.txt is unchanged and the root page 
gives no alternates.

<Give is simple, the subject (arg1) is the giver, and the object 
(arg2) is the object given. A sentence tag defines the recipient. 
Are there any really ternary verbs in English? You only get things 
like "give me the object" because we are shortening from "give the 
object to me">

Well, no -- the "to" is added to show that the place of "me" has been shifted 
from its usual (compare French).

<I changed it to indicate that intial assignment involves both a 
backcount and an ID>

How can an *initial* reference have a backcount? Or does this just mean that 
that each reference is flagged by how deep it is in the discourse. Is that 
its ID? No, since it has both this and an ID. What is the ID? A name? An 
external reference? If so, how done?

<Because tags involve operations, and all operations have two argument 
(even if some are just a placeholder).>

Example please. How, e.g., would the "me" of "Give me the book" be attached? 
What concept (no better than "idea" -- maybe worse, since more overtly 
abstract) would it be an argument to?