Subject: Re: [lojban] Logical connective question.

From: "Robert J. Chassell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 17:20:28 +0000 (UTC)

Regarding truth values, Randall Nortman <[email-masked]> wrote;

That is, of course, until you consider quantum physics, but I
don't think Lojban's logical connectives are equipped to deal with
that, nor should they be.

You can do more with Lojban than you might think: you can use {jei}
to indicate degrees of truth and you can use {la'a} to indicate the
probability of a truth. Truth value and probability are different.

There is nearly a 100% truth value that this coin is going to come
up heads with a 50% probability over the long run.

See page 262 of the book; Chapter 11.6, Truth-value Abstraction
See page 319 of the book; Chapter 13.12, Discursives

Also, to deal with your own sense of certainty or uncertainty
regarding your hypothesis, look at {ju'o}.

There is strongly suggestive evidence that this coin hardly ever
lands and stays on its edge; it almost always comes up either
heads or tails.

(For {ju'o}, see page 319 of the book; Chapter 13.12, Discursives)

Some years ago, I wrote up an item on how to use {ju'o} with numbers
for David McAllister `certainty factors'. I can't find that note
now, but you can look at my discussion of `certainty factors' at:

http://www.rattlesnake.com/notions/certainty-factors.html

-- 
Robert J. Chassell [email-masked]
Rattlesnake Enterprises http://www.rattlesnake.com